There are a couple important steps to start a steam heater and Mobile Air is here to help. To ensure your safety, please carefully follow these instructions and give Mobile Air a call if you have any questions or concerns regarding safe operation. If anything seems amiss, seek professional guidance!
Steam Heater Start Up Steps
- Prior to opening valves or starting motors make sure the unit is clean and there are no obstructions to the air flow or fan rotation.
- Connect the steam supply at the top of the heater and the condensate return line at the bottom outlet.
- Wire the power to the start/stop panel.
- Energize the motor. Remember to check for correct fan rotation.
- The fan switch must be in the stop position prior to the steam entering the heater.
- Make sure the steam trap strainer blow-down ball valve is closed.
- Purge all steam of foreign matter that may have entered during installation.
- Steam heater start up must be supervised. One person will turn on the steam at the main supply and the other person will be at the heater:
- SLOW AND PARTIAL OPENING OF THE STEAM SUPPLY BALL VALVE IS CRITICAL FOR SAFE OPERATION.
- TURN THE BALL VALVE 1/4 TURN – UNTIL THE STEAM TRAP IS WARM. THEN OPEN THE VALVE ½ TURN – WAIT ONE MINUTE, THEN OPEN ¾ TURN – WAIT ANOTHER MINUTE - THEN FULL OPEN.
- Allow 5-7 minutes for warm-up to avoid water hammer and excessive thermal stress.
- Check for leaks and re-tighten all joints after the heater has reached operating temperature.
- With the steam valve in the full open position, you can now activate the thermostat to start the fan.
If you do not feel comfortable with the steam heater start up process, Mobile Air is happy to safely install and start your steam heater for you. Contact us or call Mobile Air at (888) 474-4340 for high-quality steam heater rentals.